Annunciation House in El Paso, Texas and the Jewish Family Services of San Diego, California are calling upon RPCVs for help. In-person volunteers are needed to support the influx of refugees who have recently been allowed admittance into the United States.
Annunciation House in El Paso, Texas
Seeking volunteers for a summer internship position, and individuals looking to commit to a year long residency.
- Site Shift Coordinator: responsible for the operation and supervision of the hospitality center during their shift. This volunteer must be very responsible, bilingual, trustworthy, dependable, mature, with organizational skills and initiative.
- Support Volunteers: provide presence, supervision, and carry out a variety of tasks. This includes doing refugee intakes, staffing center office, greeting visitors, taking donations, etc. Support Volunteers also assist in the supervision of the clothing room.
- Travel & Transportation: arranges transportation to the bus station or airport. Volunteers also see to it that Care Packages are provided to families traveling long distances by ground transportation.
- Kitchen & Cook: ensures individual boxed meals are provided for guests, maintains kitchen cleanliness, puts away leftover food, takes stock of needed supplies.
- Care Package Preparation: makes sandwiches and fills Ziploc bags with food needed for travel by air or bus
- Laundry, Cleaning & Supplies: ensures all linens and towels are washed, oversees laundry supplies, assists in organizing and supervising the daily cleaning of the site by the guests
- Health Care: sorting of over-the-counter medications is needed, as are on-call health care providers for non-emergency situations.
- Clothing Bank: Sorts and organizes clothing donations and assists each new refugee in picking out a clean change of clothes.
or questions please contact: http://firstname.lastname@example.org@annunciationhouse.org (for local El Paso/Las Cruces community individuals) or email@example.com (for out of town individuals willing to travel to El Paso.)
Can’t volunteer at this time? Consider a financial or material donation to support Annunciation House’s efforts.
Jewish Family Services in San Diego, California
Seeking in-person volunteers who can help transport refugees.
- Drivers to transport refugees to the airport/bus station, help families navigate through the Greyhound or Airport by printing boarding passes and advocating for them until security.
- Drivers to transport families to and from medical appointments.
- Drivers to deliver food, clothing, and other resources to the JFS campus and to the hotels where families are staying (contactless).